Eilean Glas lighthouse - Scalpay
Eilean Glas Lighthouse is situated on the east coast of the island of Scalpay in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. It was one of the original four lights commissioned by the Commissioners of the Northern Lights, and the first in the Hebrides (the others were Kinnaird Head, Mull of Kintyre and North Ronaldsay). These lighthouses were built by Thomas Smith.
Eilean Glas light was first displayed in 1789. The original tower was replaced in 1824 by Smith's stepson Robert Stevenson. In 1852 the light was changed to a revolving system lens. The lighthouse was an early candidate for automation and this was carried out in 1978. Several of the original buildings have been sold off.The fog signal was discontinued in the 1980s although the horn remains in place as a decoration.
The lighthouse's keeper was resident for 35 years, the cottages, once used for holidays, fell foul of health and safety legislation in the 1990s and were forced to close as the water supply came from a nearby loch.
Image dimensions: 2800 x 1867 pixels